Apples stuffed with cherries, port, orange zest, pistachio kernels and spices make a warming end to a dinner.
Less than 30 mins preparation time
No cooking required cooking time
- 135g/4Â¾oz dried cherries
- 2 tbsp port
- 50g/2oz pistachio kernels, finely chopped
- 40g/1Â½oz sliced white bread, crusts removed, roughly torn
- 65g/2Â½oz butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1Â¼ tsp finely grated orange zest
- Â¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- good pinch ground cloves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 8 large green apples (such as Granny Smiths or Bramleys), cored
- 300ml/10fl oz apple juice
- vanilla ice cream or thick cream, to serve
- Place the cherries in a small bowl, pour over the port and set aside to soak for at least 2-3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Rub the base of a large non-stick baking tray with a little butter.
- Place the soaked fruit, pistachios, bread, butter, zest, spices and sugar in a food processor and pulse to a roughish paste.
- Using a sharp knife, make a shallow cut horizontally around the middle of each apple to prevent them from bursting during cooking. Place the cored apples on the baking tray and stuff each one with the filling.
- Cover the baking tray loosely with foil and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the apples are soft, basting them occasionally with the apple juice. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or thick cream.