- Cooking time: Less than 60 minutes
- Serves: 10 or more
- Type: Cake
- Preheat oven to very hot, 220Â°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a large bowl. Stir in Â¼ cup sugar. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in combined cream and 1/3 cup yoghurt. Mix to form a soft dough and turn onto a floured surface.
- Gently roll out to 2.5cm thickness. Using a 6cm pastry cutter, cut into rounds.
- Arrange close together on tray. Brush with extra cream. Sprinkle with extra sugar.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until golden and bases sound hollow when tapped. Serve with blueberries and extra low-fat yoghurt.
- The dough scraps can be used by gently pressing together.
- When using a round cutter, avoid twisting it into the dough. That will seal the sides and prevent the shortcakes from rising as high as they should.