Elegant, refined and a perfect way to start a meal.
Less than 30 mins preparation time
10 to 30 mins cooking time
- For the chicory and pastry
- 200g/7oz caster sugar
- 30g/1oz butter
- sea salt
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, leaves only
- 6 small chicory heads, quartered
- 4 x 123cm/5in circles ready-rolled puff pastry
- For the vinaigrette
- 100g/3Â½ oz Stilton
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 50g/2oz Dijon mustard
- 50ml/2fl oz white wine vinegar
- 200ml/7fl oz extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- handful walnuts
- handful mustard cress, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas mark 6.
- Heat the sugar and 50ml/2fl oz water in a saucepan until the sugar melts and the caramel is golden-brown. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter until smooth. Divide the caramel between four x 13cm/5in ovenproof dishes.
- Sprinkle the sea salt and thyme over the caramel and lay the chicory heads on top. Press the pastry circles onto the chicory and trim the edges to fit. Place the dishes into the oven and cook for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is crisp and golden-brown.
- For the vinaigrette, blend the cheese, garlic, mustard and white wine vinegar in a food processor. With the motor on a slow setting, gradually add the oil and seasoning and blend until smooth and well combined.
- To serve, invert the tarts onto serving plates and drizzle over the vinaigrette. Sprinkle over the walnuts and mustard cress.