- Cooking time: More than 1 hour
- Cuisine: Modern Australian
- Serves: 8
- Type: Budget-Cake-Carrot cake-Comfort food-Family
For the cake
- 300 g carrots, peeled and grated on a box grater
- 250 g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the icing
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 100 g cream cheese, softened
- 45 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
Combine eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and whisk to blend.
Mix cinnamon, salt, flour and baking powder in a separate large mixing bowl, then sift the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and mix to blend.
Add the carrots and walnuts and mix until just combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 1 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted into the loaf comes out clean.
Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
While the cake is cooling, place all ingredients for the icing into a food processor or a medium mixing bowl and mix well until the icing is creamy, reserve.
Once the carrot cake has cooled completely, carefully remove from the loaf tin and peel away the baking paper.
Spread the icing generously over the top of the carrot cake, slice and serve.