This simple recipe for poached chicken in a creamy white wine sauce is smart enough for a dinner party.
Less than 30 mins preparation time
30 mins to 1 hour cooking time
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 stick celery, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 black peppercorns
- 30g/1oz butter
- 30g/1oz flour
- 150ml/Â¼ pint white wine
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 2-3 tbsp double cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- squeeze lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- mashed potato, to serve
- Place chicken breasts into a large pan. Add the vegetables, bay leaf and peppercorns and cover with water.
- Place the pan over a low heat and slowly bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon, place onto a plate and keep warm.
- Strain the cooking liquid into a bowl, reserving 450ml/Â¾ pint.
- Melt the butter in a clean pan over a medium heat. Add the flour and stir well to make a roux. Slowly add the reserved chicken stock to the roux, stirring constantly, to make a thick sauce.
- Add the white wine and bring to the boil.
- Place the egg yolk and the cream into a clean bowl and lightly whisk together. Gradually add the egg mixture to the sauce, stirring well.
- Add the chicken breasts to the sauce. Remove from the heat, season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- To serve, spoon the mashed potato on serving plates, top with a chicken breast, pour over some sauce and garnish with chopped parsley.
Try Other Easy Recipes: