Pep up a pork belly recipe with a refreshing watermelon salad â€“ perfect for cutting through the richness of the pork belly.
Less than 30 mins preparation time
Over 2 hours cooking time
- For the pork belly
- 500g/1lb 2oz pork belly, cut into approx 5cm/2in squares
- sea salt
- 2 lemons, juice only
- Â½ bulb garlic, cut in half horizontally
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- For the watermelon salad
- Â½ watermelon cut into triangles
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- Â½ cucumber, cut in half lengthways, seeds scooped out, sliced
- 15cm/6in piece mooli, grated
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- large pinch sea salt
- For the dressing
- 75ml/2Â½fl oz plum sauce
- 50ml/2fl oz black rice vinegar
- 100ml/3Â½fl oz plain yoghurt
- sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.
- Score the skin of the pork belly with a knife and rub sea salt and lemon juice into the surface of the skin.
- Mix together the spices and rub the mixture into the flesh side of the pork belly. Set aside in a cool place for at least 40 minutes
- Transfer the pork belly pieces, skin-side up, and the garlic into a lidded casserole dish. Cook in the oven for 2Â½ -3 hours, or until tender.
- Increase the oven temperature to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Remove the pork pieces from the casserole dish and place, skin-side up, onto a rack set over a roasting tray and cook for a further 30 minutes, or until crisp.
- For the salad; mix all of the salad ingredients together and set to one side. Stir all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl until well combined. Mix the salad, dressing and pork until well combined.
- Serve the salad with sweet chilli sauce.