- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serves: 4
- 400 gm jasmine rice, rinsed under cold running water
- 4 spring onions, white part shredded, green part cut into 10cm lengths
- 5 gm (1cm piece) ginger, cut into julienne
- 2 star anise
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 80 gm shiitake mushrooms, trimmed, large ones halved
- 4 baby bok choy, trimmed and quartered
- 1 Chinese roast duck, jointed (see note)
- To serve: hoisin sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice
- 2 tbsp sea salt
Preheat oven to 200C. Combine rice, white part of spring onions, ginger, star anise, soy sauce and 1 litre boiling water in a wide saucepan and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, for five-spice salt, dry-roast five-spice in a small saucepan until fragrant (1-2 minutes), then combine in a small bowl with salt, set aside.
Place duck pieces, skin-side up, on an oven tray lined with baking paper and roast until warmed through and skin is crisp (6-8 minutes), then cut into large pieces. Serve with ginger and shiitake rice, greens, five-spice salt and hoisin sauce, if desired.