Vegetarian mincemeat recipe is packed with port, brandy, spices and dried fruit – whatâ€™s not to love?
Less than 30 mins preparation time
30 mins to 1 hour cooking time
Makes 600ml/1 pint
- 75g/2Â½oz soft dark brown sugar
- 60ml/2fl oz ruby port
- 300g/10Â½oz cranberries
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Â½ tsp ground cloves
- 75g/2Â½oz currants
- 75g/2Â½oz raisins
- 30g/1oz dried cranberries
- 1 clementine, zest and juice only
- 25ml/1fl oz brandy
- few drops almond extract
- Â½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey
- In a large pan, dissolve the sugar in the ruby port over a gentle heat.
- Add the cranberries and stir.
- Add the cinnamon, ginger and cloves, currants, raisins, dried cranberries and the zest and juice of the clementine.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 20 minutes, or until the fruit has broken down and has absorbed most of the liquid in the pan. (You may need to squish the cranberries a little with the back of a wooden spoon to incorporate them fully.)
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little.
- Add the brandy, almond extract, vanilla extract and honey and stir well with a wooden spoon to mash the mixture down into a paste.
- Spoon the mincemeat into sterilised jars and, once cool, store in the fridge for up to two weeks.