- Type: Fish
- 200g boneless white fish
- 200g boneless salmon, skin removed
- 300ml milk
- 1Â½ cups mixed frozen vegetables
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled, chopped
- Â¼ cup chopped parsley
- juice 1 lemon
- Â½ cup grated tasty cheese
- 45g packet french fries (straws)
- POTATO TOPPING
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, peeled, chopped
- Â½ cup milk
- 50g butter
- 60g salted butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 300ml milk
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180Â°C. Lightly grease 6 x 1-cup ramekins.
- Season fish and place it in baking dish. Pour milk over. Bake for 15 minutes, until just cooked through. Drain off milk and reserve for sauce. Break fish into large flakes.
- POTATO TOPPING: Bring potatoes to the boil in a saucepan of salted water. Cook for 15-20 minutes. Drain well and mash with milk and butter. Season to taste.
- SAUCE: Melt butter in medium saucepan on high. Stir in flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, until bubbling. Remove from heat. Combine reserved milk from cooking fish in Step 2 with milk for sauce. Blend into flour mixture until smooth. Return to heat and cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. Simmer for 3 minutes. Season to taste.
- Add fish, vegetables, eggs, parsley and lemon juice to sauce. Season to taste and mix until well combined
- Divide mixture evenly among ramekins (see tip). Top with mashed potato. Sprinkle over cheese. Bake for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with french fries and return to oven for 5-10 minutes, until golden and heated through.
- If preferred, make one large pie or 8 smaller ones.
- This is a good way to use leftover mashed potato.
- Crush up any crisps you have on hand and use them in place of the french fries.