- Cuisine: Modern Australian
- Serves: 4
- Type: Fish-Salad
Garfish and vegetables
- 1Â½ cups olive oil, for shallow-frying
- 3 small (about 100gm) zucchini, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 (about 350gm) eggplant, thinly sliced
- 12 (about 1 kg) garfish, cleaned
- 1 telegraph cucumber
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 160 gm (1 cup) fine burghul (cracked wheat), soaked in cold water for 30 minutes, then drained
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp each mint, dill and flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1Â½ lemons, juice only
- Â½ cup olive oil
Black-eyed bean salad
- 400 gm (2 cups) black-eyed beans
- 2 (about 120 gm) kipfler potatoes , peeled
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For black-eyed bean salad, place beans and potatoes in a saucepan, cover with cold water and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Coarsely chop potatoes and place in a bowl with beans, parsley and olive oil, then season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and combine well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Meanwhile, for tzatziki, coarsely grate cucumber and place in a colander, weighted down with a plate, for 15 minutes to drain liquid. Place cucumber in a piece of muslin or a tea towel and squeeze remaining liquid out. Place garlic and a large pinch of sea salt in a mortar and, using a pestle, pound until a paste forms. Process cucumber, garlic, yoghurt, vinegar and ground black pepper to taste in a food processor until smooth, then, with motor running, slowly add oil until well combined. Alternatively, place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes about 3 cups.
For burghul salad, combine all ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate until required.
Heat oil in a large frying pan and shallow-fry zucchini and eggplant, in batches, until golden and tender, then drain on absorbent paper.
Season garfish to taste, then heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and pan-fry fish, in batches, over medium-high heat for 3 minutes on each side or until just cooked through. Serve garfish with fried vegetables, tzatziki, and burgul and black-eyed bean salads, passed separately.
Incoming search terms:
- garfish recipes with vegtables