A boozy clove and honey glaze makes this ham roast a real treat. Surprise friends and family by serving it with a light flavour-packed mango salsa.
Less than 30 mins preparation time
No cooking required cooking time
- For the ham
- 3.2kg/7lb piece of boned and rolled ham, pre-boiled according to instruction
- For the glaze
- 24 whole cloves
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp dry sherry or rum
- 1Â½ tsp soy sauce
- 40g/1Â½ oz soft brown sugar
- For the mango salsa
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Using a small, sharp knife, score the fat on the ham in a diamond pattern. Press a clove into the centre of each diamond. Place the ham joint onto a rack resting in the base of a roasting tin. Pour a few tablespoons of water into the bottom of the roasting tin to prevent the glaze from burning as it drips into the bottom of the tin.
- Put the ingredients for the glaze into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Spoon a thick layer of the glaze all over the ham joint, place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, spooning over more glaze every now and then until it has all been used up. Then spoon the slowly caramelising glaze from the base of the tin back over the ham every now and then until the ham is richly golden and the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a skewer in the thickest part.
- For the salsa, place all ingredients in a bowl and stir gently to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavours to combine.
- If serving hot, leave the ham joint to rest for 20 minutes before carving. Otherwise leave for several hours to go cold. Serve thinly sliced with the mango salsa.