- Cuisine: Italian
- Serves: 4
- Type: Fish
- 8 cuttlefish, cleaned, tentacles and wings reserved
- 125 ml (Â½ cup) extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing and drizzling
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1Â½ long red chillies, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 3 green zucchini, cut diagonally into wedges
- Â¼ bunch thyme, leaves picked
- 100 gm black olives, such as Taggiasche, squashed, pitted
- 1 cup (loosely packed) each flat-leaf parsley and mint
- Â½ preserved lemon, flesh only, thinly sliced
- 125 ml (Â½ cup) white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2-3 inner white celery stalks, thinly sliced, leaves reserved
Prep time 20 mins, cook 25 mins (plus marinating, pickling)
Preheat a char-grill pan over high heat. Open cuttlefish bodies, score inside in a cross-hatch pattern, cut into thirds, brush with a little olive oil, season to taste and grill until just opaque (30 seconds each side). Cool slightly, then combine in a non-reactive bowl with 100ml olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and one-third of the chilli. Refrigerate to marinate (4 hours-overnight).
For pickled celery, combine vinegar, sugar and 125ml water in a saucepan, bring to the simmer, transfer to a non-reactive bowl and cool to room temperature. Add celery and set aside to pickle (15 minutes).
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C. Season zucchini to taste and toss in remaining olive oil. Place in a roasting pan, scatter with thyme and roast until golden and tender (20-25 minutes).
Drain cuttlefish and celery (discard liquid), place on a large plate with olives, herbs, preserved lemon and zucchini. Sprinkle with celery leaves and remaining chilli, drizzle with a little olive oil, season to taste and serve.