- Cuisine: Indonesian
- Serves: 6
- Type: Fish
- 1 whole snapper or barramundi (about 1kg)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Large piece of banana leaf, to wrap fish (see note)
- To serve: lime wedges
- For brushing: vegetable oil
- 1 telegraph cucumber, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 2 long red chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 5 long red chillies, coarsely chopped
- 3 large golden shallots, coarsely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 60 ml (Â¼ cup) lime juice
- 10 gm (2cm piece) ginger, coarsely chopped
- 5 gm (1cm piece) galangal, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 250 ml (1 cup) coconut milk
Prep time 30 mins, cook 30 mins (plus pickling)
For cucumber pickle, combine cucumber and chilli in a bowl. Combine sugar, vinegar, 1 tsp salt and 2-3 tbsp hot water in a separate bowl, stir to dissolve sugar, set aside to cool, then pour over cucumber and chilli and set aside to pickle (30 minutes).
Score fish three or four times diagonally on both sides. Rub with lime juice and Â½ tsp salt and set aside.
For spice paste, blend ingredients (except coconut milk) in a food processor until smooth, then add coconut milk and mix well. Rub half over fish (reserve remainder).
Preheat oven to 180C. Wrap fish in banana leaf and roast in a roasting pan until cooked through (20-25 minutes).
Meanwhile, warm reserved spice paste, stirring occasionally, in a small saucepan over medium heat (6 minutes).
Transfer fish to a serving plate, unwrap banana leaf, cover with warmed spice paste and serve with cucumber pickle and lime.