- Cuisine: Chinese-Asian
- Serves: 6
- Type: Salad
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cm piece of ginger, coarsely chopped
- Â¼ tsp finely chopped small green chilli
- 500 gm skinless chicken thigh fillets, thinly sliced
- 50 ml peanut oil
- Â½ small red capsicum, finely diced
- Â½ small onion, finely diced
- Â½ zucchini, finely diced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce, or to taste
- 100 gm raw cashews, roasted
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, thinly sliced lengthways
- 50 gm (1 cup) each of thinly sliced Chinese cabbage and red cabbage
- Â¼ small Spanish onion, thinly sliced, rinsed in cold water, drained well
- Â½ a small carrot (about 50gm), cut into julienne
- 25 gm bean sprouts
- Â½ cup each (loosely packed) coriander, Vietnamese mint and basil leaves
- Â½ cup (loosely packed) garlic chives, cut into 4cm lengths
- 6 cm piece of ginger (about 60gm), coarsely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 small golden shallot, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 45 ml coconut vinegar (see note)
Kung Pao dressing
- 2 tsp chilli oil, or to taste
- 1Â¼ tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1Â¼ tsp caster sugar
- 2Â¼ tsp vegetable oil
- Â¾ tsp sesame oil
- Â½ tsp mirin
Prep time 25 mins, cook 7 mins (plus marinating)
Pound garlic, ginger, green chilli and 1 tsp sea salt in a mortar and pestle to a smooth paste. Place chicken in a non-reactive container, add garlic paste, stirring to combine, then cover, refrigerate and marinate for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, for ginger relish, pound ginger, garlic and sugar in a mortar and pestle to a smooth paste. Add shallots, stir to combine. Add lime juice and coconut vinegar, set aside. Makes 150ml.
For Kung Pao dressing, combine all ingredients and Â½ tsp sea salt in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside. Makes 100ml.
Heat peanut oil in a wok over high heat. Add chicken and cook until almost cooked through (3-5 minutes), then add capsicum, onion and zucchini and cook until chicken is cooked through (1-2 minutes). Season with soy sauce. Add cashews, set aside, keep warm.
In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients.Drizzle with 100ml Kung Pao dressing, toss gently to combine. Divide chicken and vegetable mixture between plates, top with Kung Pao salad, then drizzle plate with ginger relish and serve immediately.