To make this rustic nibble daintier, cut rounds from the toast with a cookie cutter and pile a little topping onto each.
Less than 30 mins preparation time
Less than 10 mins cooking time
- Â½ small fennel bulb, herby tops reserved
- 1 small yellow courgette
- small bunch fresh mint, torn into pieces
- Â½ orange, skin removed, thinly sliced into rounds
- Â½ lemon, juice only
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 thick slice sourdough bread
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, cut in half
- 125g/4Â½oz buffalo mozzarella
- Using a vegetable peeler, thinly shave the fennel and courgette into strips. Place into a bowl with the mint and half of the fennel tops.
- Add the orange slices and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Drizzle in one tablespoon of the olive oil and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat until smoking hot.
- Toast the bread well on both sides for 2-3 minutes, or until scorched with griddle pan marks. Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Rub the chargrilled sourdough bread with the cut side of the garlic and drizzle over another tablespoon of olive oil.
- Tear the mozzarella in half and place onto the toasted bread.
- Pile the fennel and courgette salad on top, and drizzle over the remaining olive oil. Scatter over the reserved fennel tops.