Less than 30 mins preparation time
10 to 30 mins cooking time
- 450g/1lb pumpkin, courgettes, bottle gourd or carrots
- 550ml/1 pint milk
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds, crushed
- 1 tbsp sultanas
- 2 tbsp clarified (or unsalted) butter
- 8 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp halved cashews, flaked almonds, and pistachio slivers, lightly toasted
- 1 tsp rosewater or screwpine essence (optional, but do not be tempted to add more)
- silver leaf, chirongi nuts and watermelon seeds (available in Indian grocers), and red rose petals to garnish (optional)
- Trim, peel and finely grate the vegetables.
- Combine them with milk, cardamom and sultanas in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Heat gently and bring to a simmer, stirring occassionally.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender and almost all the liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently as the mixture thickens.
- Add butter, sugar, nuts, and rosewater or screwpine essence if using, and stir well.
- Spread halwa out in a shallow pan to cool; garnish.
- When cool, cut into squares and serve.