For comfort food heaven, make this rich, creamy lasagne. Itâ€™s perfect for using up Halloween pumpkins!
Less than 30 mins preparation time
1 to 2 hours cooking time
- 90ml/3fl oz extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg/2lb 3oz pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed, cubed
- paprika, to taste
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g/9oz fresh ricotta cheese
- 250g/8Â¾oz green lasagne pasta sheets
- 150ml/5Â¼fl oz milk
- 25g/1oz grated parmesan cheese, or vegetarian parmesan-style grating cheese
- For the bÃ©chamel sauce
- 55g/2oz butter
- 55g/2oz plain flour
- 350ml/10Â½fl oz milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the pumpkin and cook, covered, stirring gently from time to time, until the pumpkin is tender, up to one hour.
- Season the pumpkin with plenty of paprika, a grating of nutmeg, freshly ground black pepper and a little salt, to taste.
- Add the ricotta cheese while it’s still on the heat. Stir well then remove from the heat. Cover and allow mixture to stand.
- For the bÃ©chamel sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan without letting it brown. Add the flour little by little, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- When the flour has evenly absorbed the butter, continue to cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the 350ml/10Â½fl oz milk a little at a time, strirring constantly to make a smooth, thick and creamy sauce. Season.
- Arrange a layer of lasagne pasta sheets in the bottom of a large ovenproof dish. Spoon over a third of the pumpkin mixture. Lay more pasta sheets over the top, followed by another layer of pumpkin and another layer of pasta, followed by a final layer of the pumpkin mixture. Finish with a layer of lasagne pasta sheets.
- Pour the 150ml/5Â¼fl oz milk over the top and allow it to drain through to all pasta layers.
- Bake for ten minutes in the preheated oven, remove and spread the bÃ©chamel sauce on top.
- Bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until all the milk has been absorbed by the pasta and the lasagne looks cooked and is beginning to go crisp.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with parmesan and place back in the oven for a few minutes – take care not to burn the pasta or the bÃ©chamel on top. Serve immediately.