This recipe for stuffed courgette flowers makes a delicious starter – perfect for a Summertime dinner party.
Less than 30 mins preparation time
Less than 10 mins cooking time
- For the courgette flowers
- For the batter
- 200g/7oz plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- 1 free-range egg
- 250ml/8Â½fl oz ice-cold sparkling water
- To serve
- clear runny honey
- pine nuts
- mustard cress
- For the courgette flowers, heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 150C/320F. Alternatively, heat the oil in a deep heavy-based frying pan until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns golden-brown when dropped into it. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
- Place the ricotta, lemon zest, pine nuts, salt and freshly ground black pepper into a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Carefully spoon equal amounts of the ricotta mixture into each of the courgette flowers. Be careful not to overfill the flowers or they wonâ€™t close.
- Gently squeeze the flowers petals back together to enclose the ricotta mixture.
- Dredge each stuffed courgette flower in plain flourr.
- For the batter, mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and egg in a clean bowl.
- Gradually add the water, whisking well to form a batter.
- Dip the stuffed courgette flowers into the batter and transfer to the hot oil to deep fry-fry for 3-4 minutes, or until golden-brown. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- To serve, drizzle the courgette flowers with honey and garnish with more pine nuts and mustard cress.