Less than 30 mins preparation time
10 to 30 mins cooking time
- Heat 40g/1Â½oz of the butter in a deep, heavy-based pan and gently fry the onion until softened, but not coloured.
- Meanwhile heat the stock in a separate saucepan. Add the vermouth to the onions, turn up the heat and reduce until almost evaporated.
- Add the rice and, stirring vigorously using a sturdy wooden spoon, allow the rice to become shiny with butter before adding a ladle of hot stock. Continuing to stir vigorously and let the rice absorb the stock before adding another ladleful.
- Remove the risotto from the heat when the rice is becoming tender, but is still sloppy and dropping consistency. Cover with a lid and set aside for three minutes.
- Stir in two tablespoons of cheese and the remaining butter. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground white pepper and vigorously beat the rice with a wooden spoon until slick and glossy; it should easily fall back on itself when lifted.
- Spoon onto hot plates and take extra parmesan to the dinner table.