The oozing centres of these bite-sized stuffed mushrooms make it impossible to stop at just one. Perfect as canapÃ©s.
Less than 30 mins preparation time
10 to 30 mins cooking time
- For the mushrooms
- 300ml/Â½ pint vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 40 mushrooms (approx 4-5 per person)
- 200g/7oz Stilton, crumbled
- 100g/3Â½oz plain flour
- 3 free-range eggs, beaten
- 100g/3Â½oz fresh breadcrumbs
- For the salad
- 80g/3Â½oz fresh basil
- 50g/2oz chopped fresh chives
- 80g/3Â½oz fresh parsley
- 200g/7oz spinach
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the cranberry relish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 100g/3Â½oz cranberries
- For the mushrooms, place the vegetable oil into a deep, heavy-bottomed saucepan and heat until a small cube of bread sizzles and turns golden when dropped into it. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and discard. Place a spoonful of crumbled Stilton onto each mushroom on the stalk side.
- Place the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs into three separate bowls and dip each mushroom into each bowl in turn, shaking off any excess.
- Carefully place the mushrooms into the hot oil and deep fry for 3-4 minutes, or until golden-brown. Remove from the oil using a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- For the salad, place the basil, chives, parsley and spinach into a large bowl. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and oil, season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well to coat the leaves.
- For the cranberry relish, heat the oil in a saucepan, place the onion, vinegar, sugar and cranberries into the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- To serve, place the salad onto a plate with the mushrooms on top and the relish spooned over.