These low-carb, Asian-style chicken and lettuce cups are delicious as finger food for a party or a pre-dinner nibble.
Less than 30 mins preparation time
10 to 30 mins cooking time
- For the sauce
- 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 50ml/2fl oz rice vinegar
- 50ml/2fl oz dry sherry
- 50ml/2fl oz soy sauce
- 150ml/5fl oz strong chicken stock
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 50ml/2fl oz tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp cornflour, mixed with 2 tbsp water to form a paste
- For the chicken
- 50ml/2fl oz vegetable oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed, very finely sliced
- 2.5cm/1in piece fresh root ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 100g/3Â½oz drained, tinned pineapple, cut into small chunks
- 1 tbsp cashews, toasted
- 1 Little Gem lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- For the sauce, mix all of the ingredients, except the cornflour, together in a bowl. Set aside.
- For the chicken, heat the vegetable oil in a wok until hot and stir-fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, and stir-fry for a further minute.
- Add the sauce to the pan and cook for a further 4-5 minutes, then stir in the cornflour paste and cook for a few minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- To serve, arrange the lettuce leaves on a serving platter and spoon the chicken mixture into the leaves. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds.