- Cooking time: Less than 30 minutes
- Cuisine: Asian-Thai
- Serves: 4
- Type: Salad
- 1kg chicken pieces, such as thighs and drumsticks, skin on and bone in
- iceberg lettuce leaves
- 2 lebanese cucumbers, sliced diagonally
- Â½ bunch green onions, sliced diagonally
- Â½ bunch spearmint, leaves only
- Â½ bunch basil, leaves only
- 2 limes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- Â½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander, white roots and stems only, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2. To make spice rub, combine sugar, paprika, cumin, pepper, ginger, garlic and coriander in a processor and pulse until mixture is finely chopped. With machine running, drizzle in oil. Spread over chicken and leave to marinate in refrigerator for 4 hours, or preferably overnight.
3. Cook chicken on a moderately hot barbecue for 15-20 minutes, turning once, or until skin has caramelised.
4. Arrange lettuce, cucumber, green onions, spearmint, basil and limes on a platter, add chicken and serve immediately.