Boxing Day recipe for leftover turkey and ham. Itâ€™s quick and easy and perfect for chilly post-Christmas days.
Less than 30 mins preparation time
30 mins to 1 hour cooking time
- 30g/1oz butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 275ml/10fl oz double cream
- 100ml/3Â½fl oz chicken or turkey stock
- 450g/1lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp tarragon or marjoram, chopped
- 675g/1lb 5oz cooked turkey and ham, cut into 2cm chunks
- For the mashed potato
- 1.2kg/2Â½lb potatoes
- knob of butter
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 3 tbsp milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/360F/Gas 4.
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all the meat, melt the butter and add the chopped onion. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook, without browning, on a gentle heat for 8-10 minutes, until the onions are completely soft.
- Add the cream and stock and bring up to the boil and simmer for a few minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, in a separate frying pan, heat the mushrooms with a knob of butter (you might need to do this in two batches) for 3-4 minutes, or until soft and golden brown.
- Add tarragon or majoram to the mushrooms and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the meat and the mushrooms and stir well.
- Meanwhile for the mashed potato, place the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water and cook until soft. Drain the potatoes and return them to the saucepan. Mash roughly and then add the butter, egg yolk and milk and mash to a thick paste. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour the cream, mushroom and meat mixture into a shallow gratin dish and top with the mashed potato.
- Place in the oven for about 20-30 minutes until the potato topping is golden brown and the filling is hot.