Foochow Braised Fried Noodles (Chao Zhu Mian) 炒煮面
Wednesday, March 12, 2014
I love this month theme event by Little Thumbs Up : Prawn simply because prawn is my favourite seafood of all! ^0^ This Foochow braised noodles looks rather similar to our local Hokkien Mee but actually the taste is not the same. The main seasoning required is the Foochow red wine and the usual dark and light soy sauce. Prawn and fishball are being braised with the noodle therefore the gravy is enhanced with sweet seafood flavours. I've attempted the dish again but without adding the prawn (my hubby does not like prawn!) .... verdict? I still prefer the one with added prawn! :D
Recipe ref : Kellysiew
Ingredient (4 servings)
- 400gm thin hokkien noodles, rinsed and set aside
- 240gm medium prawns, trimmed and deveined
- 9 fresh fish balls, sliced in half
- 100gm pork fillet (marinated lightly with dash of sesame oil, light soy sauce, pepper & cornflour)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 90gm choy sum, trimmed
- spring onion for garnishing
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp foochow red wine
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp cornstarch water
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok over high heat. Add garlic and sauté till fragrant.
- Add in pork, prawns and fish balls and toss quickly.
- Add in noodle and mix well.
- Add in seasoning and choy sum, toss evenly. Add in 400ml water and cook for 3-4 mins.
- Add in cornstarch water and cook till broth has thickened slightly. Turn of heat and garnish with spring onion before serving.