Indonesian Fried Noodle (Mie Goreng Java)
Friday, March 21, 2014
Talking about instant noodle, one of my favourite brand should be Indomie Mee Goreng! Once in a while I will indulge a pack as a quick snack :P While browsing recipe for this month Asian Food Fest : Indonesia, I found this homemade Indonesian Fried Noodle which tasted fantastic good! Love the peppery and nutty flavour with a tinge of sweetness. The first attempt I've forgotten to take into consideration the level of spiciness my kids can accept, I've added too much pepper and they had a hard time polishing off their plate of noodle. My hubby also commented too much pepper added >.<" Therefore the second attempt I've reduced the peppercorns used and it tasted much much better for all of us :D
Recipe source : NoRecipes with slight modifications
- 300gm dried egg noodles
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 candlenuts, presoaked
- 1 tbsp whole white pepper
- 250gm chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 180gm cabbage, thinly sliced
- 200gm bean sprouts
- 3 stalks spring onion, chopped
- 2 stalk chinese celery, chopped
- 4 tbsp sweet dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 300ml chicken stock (dissolved 1 non-MSG stock cube in water)
- Cook dried egg noodles as per packaging instructions. Drain well and set aside.
- Combine garlic, candlenut and pepper in a electric grinder and process till smooth.
- Heat some oil in wok. Stir fry spice paste till fragrant over medium heat briefly.
- Toss in chicken and stir to mix with the spice.
- Add sweet dark soy sauce & light soy sauce and mix well.
- Add in chicken stock and cabbage. Bring to boil and cook for 2-3 minutes until cabbage is tender and liquid reduced slightly.
- Add in noodles and stir evenly. Add in bean sprouts, spring onion and celery, mix well. Turn off heat.
- Serve immediately with sambal chilli and lime at the sides.