Yangnyeom Chicken 양념 치킨 (Spicy Korean Fried Chicken)
Friday, April 11, 2014
There are several restaurants in Singapore selling Korean Fried Chicken but too bad I've yet to patronise any of those! After cooking this Korean Fried Chicken, now I know why nobody can resist this tantalising dish. The double fried drumlets coated with the spicy and sweet sauce is so smacking good! Once started with one you will go on and on till the plate is emptied >.^
Spicy & sweet sauce
Twice fried chicken drumlets
Coating the drumlets evenly with the spicy sauce
Garnish with nuts & sesame seeds
- 1 kg chicken drumlets, skin removed
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup cornflour for coating
- 2 tbsp toasted chopped walnuts and sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- thumb-sized ginger
- 4 tbsp korean chilli paste
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp strawberry preserve (I've used kumquat jam)
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- Marinate chicken pieces with rice wine, ginger, salt & pepper. Set aside.
- In a small blender, puree onion, garlic and ginger till smooth.
- In a saucepan, combine the onion puree and the rest of the sauce ingredients, mix well. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 mins until it thickens slightly. Set aside.
- Place the chicken in a ziplock bag and add the flour. Seal and toss to coat the chicken thoroughly.
- Heat some oil in a medium pot until hot. Drop in chicken, in batches, fry for 5 mins until lightly golden. Remove and place on paper towel.
- When all the chicken pieces are fried, go back to the first batch and fry for the second time, about 3 mins until nicely golden brown. Drain well on paper towel.
- Put fried chicken pieces in the pot of sauce and toss well to coat evenly. Transfer chicken to a serving plate and sprinkle chopped nuts and sesame seeds over.