Triple Malt Chocolate Cake
Sunday, May 4, 2014
No this is not a birthday cake for any of my kids hahaha.....I've made this special chocolate cake to mark the 3rd anniversary of Bake Along Event with this month Anniversary Theme : Chocolate Cake! What's so special about this chocolate cake? Unlike the usual chocolate cake which uses melted chocolate or cocoa powder, this one include another core ingredient i.e.. malt powder aka Horlick! With the additional of malt milk powder in the chocolate cake together with the vanilla malt frosting make this cake tasted really really rich , milky and chocolaty at the same time. Oh gosh having sugar rush after having a slice of the cake!!!
Instead of frosting the cake using American buttercream frosting, I made use of frosty whipped cream powder and malt milk to create a vanilla malt frosting....so creamy and milky! I've to stop my little girl from stealing the cream while am busy trying to frost the cake!
Hahahaha really sucks at frosting a whole cake! Trying my very best to achieve a smooth surface and luckily the chopped maltesers helps to conceal the uneven sides!
Ingredient (a 2 layered 8" round cake)
- 200gm malt milk powder (Horlick)
- 200gm plain flour
- 70gm cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 200gm sugar
- 2/3 cup corn oil
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 330ml milk
Vanilla Malt Frosting
- 150gm Frosty Whip Powder
- 200gm chilled malt milk (combine 60gm malt milk powder with enough boiling water to make 200gm of malt milk)
- 1 1/3 cup Maltesers, coarsely choppped
- Line two 8" round cake pans with baking paper and set aside.
- Combine malt milk powder, plain flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Whisk to aerate and break up any lumps.
- Combine eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in a separate bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and fold until just incorporated. Add in 1/2 of the milk and mix till smooth. Continue with the remaining flour mixture and milk, alternating in between and whisking until all the ingredients are just incorporated and smooth. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 2 cake pans. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 40-45 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool in pan for 10mins. Unmould the cake and turn the cakes out onto the wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- To frost : Combine chilled malt milk with frosty whip powder and set aside for 10mins. Using a electric whisk, beat the cream on high speed until thick and firm. Place a cake layer on a serving plate. Evenly spread a third of the frosting over the top of the layer. Stack the second layer and evenly spread a thin layer of frosting over the top and sides of the whole cake (crumb coating). Place in fridge and chill for about 15 mins until the frosting is set and slightly hard. Remove the cake from the fridge and spread the remaining frosting all over the cake. Smooth out the surface as even as possible. Press the chopped Maltesers into the frosting around the sides of the cake. Serve immediately or chilled.
Cross-sectioned of the cake revealed! It is moist and dense. You will definitely like this cake if you prefer fudgey chocolate cake :)
This post is linked to the Bake Along #60 organised by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours, Lena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Bake For Happy Kids, and My Little Favourite DIY, hosted by Tze of Awayofmind Bakery House