Marmite Oyster Mee Sua
Tuesday, June 13, 2017
This is a really simple and straight forward noodle dish to prepare!! Get ready a good pot of simple homemade chicken stock (make in advance or prepare on the day itself) and the dish will be done in minutes! I decided to give it a twist by adding some marmite to the gravy for an extra umami flavour. Wow the marmite really goes well with in this savoury oyster mee sua! The vinegar taste is still the primary flavour with hint of marmite...absolutely delicious!
- 5 bundles mee sua
- 2 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 350gm frozen oysters
- garnishing : fried shallots, Chinese parsley, chilli
Marmite Oyster Gravy
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 stalk spring onion, cut into sections
- 3 slices ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tbsp marmite
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp dark vinegar
- dash of pepper
- 3 tbsp sweet potato starch, dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- Thaw oysters and drain the liquid. Do not rinse the oyster. Coat the oyster with 1 tbsp corn flour, mix well. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add oyster and blanch briefly. Reserve 1 cup of the broth. Remove oysters and place into a bowl of icy cold water. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pot. Add spring onion and ginger. Saute till fragrant. Add in reserved oyster broth and chicken stock. Bring to boil.
- Add in all seasoning. Adjust taste if desire. Gradually drizzle in starch solution and stirring at the same time. Simmer till gravy thickens. Turn off heat.
- To serve : blanch mee sua in boiling water. Divide mee sua among 4 serving bowls. Ladle in gravy. Top with blanched oyster and shredded chicken. Garnish with parsley and fried shallots. Drizzle in more dark vinegar if desired, serve immediately!