Teochew Bak Kut Teh 潮州肉骨茶
Tuesday, June 27, 2017
What a scrumptious spread! Actually is very simple to get this set meal done! I always prefer Teochew Bak Kut Teh which has a garlicky and peppery soup base unlike the dark version (Hokkien version) which is made with herbal soup base. To prepare a pot of peppery Teochew bak kut teh, you just need a large amount of fresh garlic, white peppercorns and fresh pork ribs, that's simple! After the soup base is done, you can add in whatever ingredients you like e.g., sliced pork loin, pork liver, pork stomach etc....
Ignore the homemade smoked black garlic hahaha....I tried adding some of the black garlic in the soup but it did not turn out well. After smoking the garlic, the garlicky fragrant actually diminish significantly. So is not an ideal substitution to make this Teochew bak kut teh.
- 1 kg pork bones
- 2 kg pork prime ribs
- 4 whole bulbs of garlic
- 50gm white peppercorns
- salt to taste
- 3L water
- Place the white peppercorns in a dry pan and fry till fragrant. Cool the peppercorns and lightly crushed with a mortar. Place the crushed peppercorns in a muslin bag.
- Blanch the pork bones and ribs in boiling water. Rinse well.
- Place the blanched pork bones, whole garlic and peppercorns in a stock pot. Add in water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add in blanched pork ribs and salt. (at this point you may like to remove the bag of peppercorns if its too spicy) Continue to simmer for another 1 hour.
- Serve hot with rice and side dishes if desired.