Braised Bittergourd with Pork Ribs
Wednesday, August 16, 2017
Its been a while I've cook such a hearty meal...2 dish and 1 soup! hahaha been very lazy and usually one pot meal settles all which is fast and easy. I miss eating braised bitter gourd with pork ribs prepared by my mother, and this is the first time I'm cooking this! I've make this dish more saucy as I know my kids will love the savoury braised sauce though they don't really fancy bitter gourd. They manage to taste one slice each. 😓 Nevermind that they still not able to accept bitter gourd, I've prepared their two favourite dishes, luffa fried egg and ABC soup! Happy dinner!
- 450gm bitter gourd* (I used white version one)
- 400gm soft pork ribs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- thumb size ginger, minced
- 2 tsp black fermented beans, rinsed and chopped
- 200ml water
- 30gm rock sugar
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- cornstarch solution
- handful of chopped coriander
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp cornflour
- Combine pork ribs and marination ingredient and mix well. Allow to marinate for a least 30mins.
- Slice bitter gourd into chunks. Marinate with 1 tsp salt and set aside for 30mins. Bring a pot of water to boil. Rinse bitter gourd and add into boiling water and cook for 1 min. Drain away water and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok. Add ginger and black fermented beans, saute till fragrant. Add in garlic and fry briefly.
- Add pork ribs and toss to mix well. Fry for 2 mins. Add in bitter gourd and stir to combine. Add in water and sugar. Bring to boil. Cover wok with a lid and simmer over medium heat for 20 mins until the pork ribs are tender.
- Add in light and dark soy sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch solution. Continue to simmer until gravy thickens. Toss in coriander and dish up.