Sambal Anchovies with Belimbing
Monday, August 28, 2017
The belimbing tree is flourishing with fruits! This time round I managed to harvest plenty of them, more belimbing dishes for the coming weeks!
- 5 dried chilli, softened & deseed
- 2 fresh red chilli, deseed
- 5 red shallots, peeled
- 5 garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp toasted belacan
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, crushed
- 20 pcs fresh belimbing, trim both ends
- 100gm anchovies, rinsed thoroughly
- salt and sugar to taste
- Place chilli, shallots, garlic and belacan into a blender. Process till a smooth paste is formed. Add in a little water for ease of blending.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in pan. Add in anchovies and fry till crisp and golden brown. Drain well on kitchen paper.
- With remaining oil in pan. Add spice paste and saute over medium heat for 5 mins until fragrant and oil separates.
- Add in onion and kaffir lime leaves, fry till onion soften. Add in belimbing and mix well. Drizzle in a few tbsp of water and simmer over medium low heat for about 3 mins till belimbing is tender. Add in sugar and salt to taste and continue to fry till mixture thickens.
- Stir in fried anchovies and mix well
Pumpkin porridge with side dishes...Onion sardines, pickled vegetables, garlic broccoli, fishcake and sambal anchovies with belimbing