Saturday, September 9, 2017
Compare to the beef rendang I've cooked previously, this chicken rendang is much simpler as it can be cooked within 30 mins (excluding preparation time)! As I want the flavours to further develop, I've prepared the dish in the afternoon and served only at dinner time. Glad that everyone enjoyed this rich and flavourful chicken rendang!
Ingredients for spice paste
- 1.5 kg chicken parts
- 200ml Ayam brand premium coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 130gm fresh grated coconut
- 2 small turmeric leaf, shredded
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 stalks lemongrass
- 120gm shallots
- 5 cloves garlic
- 10 dried chilli, softened and deseeded
- 10 chilli padi, deseeded
- 40gm ginger
- 20gm galangal
- 15gm turmeric
- Combine chicken pieces with spice paste, coconut milk, water and turmeric leaf, except grated coconut. Bring to a boil and lower to medium low heat and simmer for 30mins, lid on.
- Meanwhile in a clean pan, toast the coconut until dry, fragrant and golden.
- After 30 mins of simmering, put toasted coconut and salt into the pot and increase heat to medium to reduce the gravy. Stir occasionally until mixture is moist and fragrant.
Recommend you to try this flavourful steamed rice to go with the chicken rendang, is a perfect match! Takes a little effort for the preparation, mostly draining and steaming the rice 3 rounds to get it perfectly done. But is all worthwhile!
Nasi Dagang Terengganu
- 400gm jasmine rice
- 100gm glutinous rice
- 5 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 heap tbsp thinly julienned ginger
- 1 tbsp fenugreek
- 200ml Ayam brand coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Rinse both rice and soak for 5 hours together. Drain the rice well in a colander.
- Steam the rice for 15 mins and transfer to a big bowl. Wash the rice with clean water and drain. Drain in colander again. Steam for another 10 mins.
- Place fenugreek, shallots, ginger, coconut milk, salt and sugar into a big bowl. Pour the hot rice into the big bowl and toss to combine.
- Steam the rice again for 10 mins. Let the rice rest for 30 mins before serving.