Pan Fried "Roasted" Pork
Saturday, September 16, 2017
Yes your eyes are not playing trick with you, this roasted pork is done in a frying pan! ^0^ Crispy and golden roasted pork is absolutely achievable in frying pan alternative to roasting in the oven. Thanks to Wendy for sharing this awesome method of preparing roasted pork. Instead of roasting a huge slab of 1-2kg pork belly in oven, this pork belly I've used weighed about 700gm, fits nicely in my 24cm non stick frying pan.
Quite an easy process, except to take note of the heat use during frying the pork belly. Too high heat you will end a char skin instead of crispy and golden skin with uncooked meat throughout. So remember to turn down heat after adding in the 2 tbsp oil! While frying, the oil did not splatter much as most of the cooking process is done with a lid on. Another tip : If you think that your pan/oil is getting too hot, move away the pan from heat to cool down a while. Return the pan to heat to continue till done. Whole process took about 30mins. Hope you will try out this simplied roasted pork using frying pan!
Recipe ref : Wendyinkk
- 500gm-700gm pork belly, skin on
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt (to be rub on skin only)
Combine the following seasoning for meat area
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- 2/3 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tbsp hua tiao jiu
- Rinse pork belly and pat dry with kitchen paper. Place belly skin side down and sprinkle the mixed seasoning over and pat them in.
- Flip over and sprinkle 1/2 tbsp sea salt evenly all over the skin.
- Let the whole pork belly sit in fridge for 2-3 days without covering.
- On the day of frying, bring the pork belly to room temperature. Heat a non stick pan on medium heat and then put in the belly, skin side down. With your fingers, press the meat down so that the skin gets evenly heated up. You will hear crackling sounds, continue to fry for 2 more minutes.
- Flip the belly over and drizzle in 2 tbsp oil. Use a spatula to press down the meat to ensure the meat gets even heat. Lower heat and continue to fry until the meat is very golden.
- Flip the belly over, skin side down now. Press so that the skin touches the oil in pan. Continue to fry over low heat. Cover with a lid. Let it cook until the skin is all golden brown and crispy for about 25 mins.
- Remove lid, use a pair of tongs, fry each side of the meat until lightly golden. Fry the skin one last time. Remove the belly from pan and cool on a wire rack completely before chopping with a shape knife.