麻辣香锅 with Gnocchi
Monday, September 18, 2017
When mention gnocchi first thing comes into your mind must be Italian food. How much incorporating this tiny little potato dumpling into your daily Chinese cooking?! I must say the result turns out pretty well as my kids could not stop popping them into their little mouth. Instead of boiling them prior to further preparation, I've pan fried the gnocchi till golden brown and crisp so that it won't turned out too soft and mushy after stir-frying. I tasted one of the fried gnocchi and it tasted just like freshly fried french fries! Hahaha of course gnocchi are basically made of potato and flour.
This hot and spicy one pot stir frying is really versatile. I make some changes to the previous 麻辣香锅 by replacing fresh potatoes with gnocchi.
- 250gm ready packed Gnocchi
- 300gm boneless, skinless chicken thigh meat (marinate with 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp light soy sauce, 1 tsp wine)
- 300gm Chinese cabbage, sliced
- 100gm long beans, cut into section
- 1 block firm beancurd, cut into cubes
- 50gm dried beanstick, break into 10cm length
- 20gm black fungus, softened and shredded
- 25gm dried shiitake mushroom, softened
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into chunks
Herbs & Spices
- 6 garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
- 3 stalk spring onion, sliced into sections
- 2 slices ginger
- 10 dried chilli, softened and deseeded
- 1/2 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 110gm Ma La Xiang Guo chilli paste
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp seasoning powder
- 120ml water
- 2 tbsp chinese wine
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add in cabbage and blanched till lightly softened. Remove cabbage from pot.
- Heat some oil in wok, deep fry gnocchi until golden brown. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Using same wok, deep fry bean curd till golden brown. Drain and set aside.
- Add long beans into hot oil and fry till lightly brown. Remove and drain well. Add beanstick and fry till crispy. Remove and soak in cold water to soften the pieces. Drain away water.
- With remaining oil in wok, add in chicken meat fry till lightly brown. Remove and set aside.
- Remove excess oil leaving about 2 tbsp oil in wok. Add in onion, garlic, ginger, spring onion, peppercorns and dried chilli and fry over medium heat, about 2 mins till fragrant.
- Add in Ma La Xiang Guo chilli paste and fry over medium low heat for 1 min.
- Add in mushroom, fried beanstick, black fungus and mix evenly.
- Return chicken meat, Chinese cabbage, long beans and gnocchi to the wok. Mix evenly.
- Add in sugar and seasoning powder to taste. Pour in 120ml water. Cover wok and simmer over medium heat for 2 mins.
- Drizzle in wine and mix evenly. Dish up and garnish before serving.
Casa Rinaldi Gnocchi is available exclusively at NTUC finest under the pasta section. (Retail price at $9.50 per pack). Don't miss out Casa Rinaldi giveaway at http://bit.ly/2f9PfwJ