Fried Hokkien Prawn Noodles 福建炒虾面
Monday, October 9, 2017
Finally I've collected enough prawn shells to make a pot of wholesome stock for my favourite noodle dish Fried Hokkien Prawn Noodle! Nothing beats a wholesome plate of home cooked braised noodle loaded with fresh seafood and meat!
- 500gm pork ribs
- 400gm prawn shells
- 20gm fried sole fried fish
- 150gm pork belly
- 300gm medium prawns, trimmed
- 150gm squid, cleaned and cut into rings
- 200gm yellow noodles
- 200gm thick rice vermicelli
- 50gm chives, cut into sections
- 3 eggs
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- lard oil
- fish sauce
- light soy sauce
- white pepper
- To make pork broth, rinse pork ribs and pat dry. Add some oil into heated wok and pan fry until slightly brown. Add in one litre of boiling water into the wok and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for one hour. Turn off the flame and let the pork stock steep overnight. Next day, reheat the pork stock again and boil for another 20 mins before straining. Set aside.
- To make prawn stock, add some oil in heated wok. Pan fry the prawn shells until they turn orangey red and fragrant. Add one litre of water and boil for 20 mins uncovered. Strain the prawn stock and combine with the pork stock. Boil down to about one litre to concentrate the flavours.
- During the process of boiling down the combined stock, add the pork belly and boil until it is just cooked. Remove from the stock and cut into thin strips after cooling down. Blanch the prawn and sliced squid separately. Do not overcook. Remove and set aside.
- To cook the noodles, add lard oil into a heated wok. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add yellow noodles and rice vermicelli together with some fish sauce and light soy sauce. Stir fry over very high heat for 30 seconds.
- Push the noodles to one side and crack 3 eggs into the wok. Quickly stir fry the eggs and combine with the noodles to coat the strands thoroughly. Add the pork belly and mix well.
- Pour about 200ml stock over the noodles and stir fry until the stock is absorbed. Add another 250ml stock and cover for 2 mins.
- Remove cover, add in blanched prawns and squid and a little more stock. Add chives and mix well. Adjust taste by adding more fish sauce or so.
- Remove from fire and serve immediately with calamansi lime and chilli paste at the side.