Air Fried Sio Bak & Char Siew
Thursday, November 16, 2017
Thanks to Mister I've got the chance to play with my new toy Roman Halogen Air Fryer! I'm happy with my first attempt air frying crispy roasted pork belly and barbecue pork which both turned out crisp succulent and juicy. Usually I will use my convection oven for roasting which is rather oily and smelly after used. Surprisingly with this air frying method, though there will still be some oil splattering, the cleaning is so much easier and no strong porky smell lingering in the kitchen and the equipment itself! Do take note the the heat element of this Roman Air Fryer may be different with other brands of air fryer, so the cooking temperature and duration I've attempted is for my own reference. Happy Air Frying!!
Air Fried Crispy Roast Pork
- 1 kg pork belly, skin on
- 2 tsp distilled vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt (to be rub on skin only)
Combine the following seasoning for meat area
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp hua tiao jiu
- Rinse pork belly and blanch briefly in boiling water. Pat dry with kitchen paper. Place belly skin side down and sprinkle the mixed seasoning over and rub them in.
- Turn the pork belly over, prick the skin evenly all over. Brush skin with vinegar and rub 1/2 tbsp sea salt evenly all over the skin. Chill the whole pork belly in fridge for at least 24 hours without covering.
- Bring the pork belly to room temperature. Preheat air fryer at 180deg cel for 5 mins. Line the base of air fryer with foil and place the wire rack over. Place the pork belly, skin side up, on the wire rack. Air fry at 180 deg cel for 30 mins. After 30 mins, prick the skin once more to ensure even crackling. Increase temperature to 200 deg cel and continue to air fry for 25-30 mins until the skin is blistering and golden brown.
- Remove roasted pork belly from air fryer and cool it down completely before slicing.
Air Fried Char Siew
- 600gm pork shoulder butt, cut into stripes
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese wine
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Rinse and pat dry pork. Combine all seasoning and mix well with pork. Cover and chill overnight.
- Bring marinated pork to room temperature. Preheat air fryer at 200 deg cel for 5 mins. Line the base of air fryer with foil and place a wire rack over. Drain the pork and reserve the marinated liquid. Place the pork over wire rack. Air fry at 200 deg for 10 mins.
- Flip the pork over and continue to air fry at 160 deg cel for 25 mins until nicely browned.
- Remove char siew from air fryer and cool down before slicing.
- Strain the reserved marination and bring to boil. Serve the gravy with sliced char siew.