CNY 2018 Savoury Cookies
Friday, January 26, 2018
Using my last batch of homemade rempah to bake this laksa cookies! Wow the fragrant is so intoxicating while baking! The texture of the cookie is a little crunch at the edge but not super crispy nor melty in the mouth. The taste is quite complex with spicy and a little sweet undertone companied with fragrant dried shrimps and laksa leaves which I really like. Are you adventurous to give it a try? ^0^
- 100gm homemade rempah
- 20gm dried shrimp
- 2 tsp tbsp coriander seeds, toasted & grounded
- 1/2 tbsp toasted belacan powder
- 150gm butter
- 100gm icing sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp laksa paste
- 10gm chopped daum kesom (laksa leaves)
- 440gm plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk + 1 tsp water for glazing
- Rinse the dried shrimp and process them until floss like texture.
- Add 1 tbsp cooking oil in pan and fry rempah paste briefly. Add ground coriander, belacan powder and dried shrimp floss and fry until fragrant. Remove from pan and cool before usage.
- To make cookie dough : Using a electric whisk, cream butter and icing sugar till creamy. Add vegetable oil, coconut milk, laksa paste and chopped laksa leaves, mix well.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt over. Beat on low speed till dough is formed. Transfer dough onto a cling wrap, flatten slightly, sealed and rest in fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Remove dough from fridge. Pinch some dough (approx 1 tsp) and roll into a ball. Press down with the back of a fork to flatten slightly. Brush surface with some egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 25 mins or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack before storing.
Ooh another favourite CNY cookies for the past few years. Now I know why its so popular! They are very melty and fragrant which you will not stop at one! I should have cut out the dough a little thicker as its really fragile to handle while I'm trying to pack into the containers.
Salted Egg Yolk Cookies
Recipe ref : Bake for Happy Kids
- 170gm unsalted butter
- 80gm fine sugar
- 250gm plain flour
- 20gm corn flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 cooked salted egg yolks, mashed
- 2 egg yolks for glazing
- sesame seeds for sprinkle
- Using electric whisk, cream butter, sugar and salt until well combined. Beat in salted egg yolk.
- Sift flour and baking powder into butter mixture. Mix well to form a soft pliable dough. Cling wrap the dough and rest in fridge for at least 30mins.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into 3mm thickness. Cut into shapes using your desired cookie cutter. Brush the cookies with egg wash and sprinkle some sesame seeds over.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 15 mins or until golden brown.