CNY 2018 Pineapple Tarts
Friday, February 2, 2018
Finally completed my pineapple tarts for this coming Chinese Lunar New Year! Not wanting to overwork myself, I only used three kg of store bought pineapple paste to bake some open tarts and pineapple rolls.
For open tarts, I followed back the recipe here which I've tried few years ago. I replaced the plain flour with top flour and it yield a better texture!
Ingredients (approx. 80 pcs)
- 227gm unsalted butter
- 30gm icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 400g top flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 700gm pineapple paste, rolled into small balls
Glaze : 1 egg yolk + 1 tsp water + 1 tsp oil
- With an electric mixer, cream butter, icing sugar and salt till the mixture turns pale. Add in the vanilla essence and whisk to combine.
- Beat in the egg yolks gradually till fully incorporated.
- Sift in the flour into the mixture. Mix the mixture with your hand and gather to form a rough dough. Lightly knead the dough until the dough becomes smooth. Do not over knead the dough. Wrap the dough with cling wrap and chill in the fridge for about 30mins.
- Remove dough from fridge. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about 5~7mm thick. Cut out the dough with the tart mould and transfer onto a lined baking tray. Lightly glaze the edges.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 10 mins. Remove from oven, glaze again and place pineapple paste ball on each tart base.
- Return to oven and continue to bake for another 10-12mins. Leave to cool on baking tray for a few minutes before transferring to wire rack. Let cool before storing in air-tight containers.
First time trying out nasilemaklover's melts in the mouth pineapple roll. Wow the pastry is indeed very melty! The pastry is not too sweet and with a tinge of milky flavour, this I like! A lot of bakers are baking doggie pineapple tarts/cookies, me too join in the fun! ^0^ I tinted the dough with some yellow food colouring as I do not want apply any egg wash over the rolled cookies. I'm really satisfied with the 'golden' appearance of these doggies pineapple rolls!
hahaha I'm so tired after shaping and decorating 2 trays of 'doggies'. So I complete the balance dough with rose shape pineapple roll!
Ingredient (approx 87 pcs)
- 350gm unsalted butter
- 100gm condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- few drops yellow food colouring (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 510gm top flour
- pineapple paste (measure in 1 tsp level and shape round)
- Cream butter and condensed milk until creamy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, until well combined. Beat in salt and food colouring if using.
- Sift in flour and mix till a soft dough is formed. Roll dough into 10gm ball, flatten dough and wrap with a ball of pineapple paste. Seal edge and roll between palms to shape round. Decorate as desired. I've omitted the egg wash.
- Place pineapple balls on lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 20 mins. Cool on rack completely before storing.