Nonya Assam Fish
Monday, March 26, 2018
Tantalising nonya assam fish made from scratch, no prefaced sauce used! Spicy and sourish gravy, you could not resist having more serving of rice!
Fresh herbs and spices
- 400gm mackerel
- 40gm tamarind pulp + 400ml water
- 5 okra, trimmed
- 1 brinjal, sliced
- 1 large tomato
- 2 pcs kaffir lime leaf
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
Spice paste (blend till fine)
- 10gm dried chilli, seeds removed and soak
- 100gm shallots
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 candle nut
- 10gm galangal
- 2 lemongrass (4" from the base)
- 5gm toasted dried shrimp paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Rub tamarind pulp in water and strain the water, discard the seeds. Heat 5 tbsp oil in wok and add spice paste. Fry over medium low heat until the paste is glossy and fragrant.
- Add in tamarind water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 mins. Add in seasoning and adjust taste if desired.
- Put in fish, okra, brinjal, tomato and kaffir lime leaf. Simmer on low heat for 3 mins. Gently flip the fish and simmer for another 2 min. Remove from heat and dish up. Serve immediately.