Strawberry Pie with Strawberry Crust
Monday, August 6, 2018
This gorgeous strawberry pie with strawberry crust gets it vibrant pink hue from freeze-dried strawberries (which you can pick up at Trader Joe’s). Just whirl ’em up in the food processor with your flour and butter, and voilà: You have a pretty-in-pink dessert that’ll blow everyone away.
FILLING AND FINISHING
STRAWBERRY PIE CRUST RECIPE
- ½ cup freeze-dried strawberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch-cubes
FILLING AND FINISHING
- 5 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg white
- Sanding sugar, for finishing
HOW TO MAKE :
MAKE THE PIE CRUST:
- In a food processor, pulse the strawberries and granulated sugar to a fine powder. Add the flour and salt, and continue to process until well combined.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles small peas. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and add ¼ cup ice water. Mix by hand until the mixture uniformly comes together but isn’t sticky or tacky. If necessary, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Divide the pie dough in half and form each half into a 1-inch-thick disk. Wrap each disk tightly in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
PREPARE THE FILLING:
- In a large bowl, toss together the strawberries, lemon juice, vanilla and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar and cornstarch. Add the mixture to the strawberries and toss well to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg white and 1 tablespoon water.
ASSEMBLE THE PIE:
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disk of the dough to ¼ inch thick. Transfer to a pie plate and trim the excess crust around the edge with scissors so that only ½ inch hangs over the edge of the pie plate.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust. Transfer the whole thing to the refrigerator.
- Roll out the second disk of dough to ¼ inch thick. Cut 1½-inch-wide strips from the dough. Use the strips to weave a lattice on top of the pie.
- Chill the pie for 20 minutes while you preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Brush the surface of the pie with egg wash and sprinkle with the sanding sugar. Bake until the crust begins to brown slightly and the filling is bubbly, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing and serving.
Recipe Adapted : Strawberry Pie with Strawberry Crust @ purewow